My intention for this year’s Cosmic Holiday Gift & Inspiration Guide is to share a few ideas & items which have that “cosmic vibe & aesthetic” of being colorful, creative & fun while also being affordable & simple. The last thing I want to do is to contribute to the frenzy of consumerism which is so abundant in our culture, so I’ve tried to include items that are hand made and ideas that you can easily replicate at home with a little time & creative juice.
Mostly, this is just cute stuff I like. :-)
- Holiday Color Play: Forego the traditional color palette and play with vintage holiday colors this year. For more ideas on how to mix up your holiday color scheme, go here and check out six sensational palettes courtesy of PorterHouseDesigns.com.
- Kantha Stockings: SO loving these kantha stockings hung by the chimney with care (& color). (Bad News: I found these via handandcloth.org, and they appear to be sold out. Good News: Sewing up a stocking like this would be super easy and inexpensive. Just grab some funky fabrics from colorful thrift store threads, a quilt shop or your own swatch pile and google stocking patterns.)
- Upcycled Jars: I thought these darling jars would make super cute hostess gifts! For a full color, easy to follow photo tutorial, check out eighteen25′s blog right here.
- Pie Box Kits: Another super cute hostess/office/neighbor gift idea. Check out these and tons of other handmade cuteness from alamodo on Etsy.
- Handmade Jewelry from Black & Bluebird: I recently discovered this jewelry artist at a local art fair in Austin, Texas, and let me just tell you, I had to hold myself back. I wanted just about everything in her booth. BlackandBluebird.com.
- Wrap with Nature: (not to be confused with rapping IN nature, which actually sounds fun to me). Every year, painter & mixed media artist Alisa Burke selects a theme for all of her holiday wrapping and tries to push herself to get creative within that theme. Check out her beautiful work & photos for more inspiration right here.
- Guatemalan-inspired Muk Luk Slippers: cute, cozy, colorful and warm! Check them out on Target.com.
- Hand Painted Art from The Studio at Cosmic Acres: I would be remiss if I didn’t promote my own work, right? Seriously, I’d like to encourage you to consider supporting a local artist (even if my style isn’t right for you, check out some of the upcoming art fairs in your area). Custom art is a meaningful gift that will delight the recipient, and help support a local business. *For more details on my artwork for sale, go here.
- An original Mason Jar Tumbler: I ♥ these! Definitely one of my personal favorite things. Check out The Mason Bar Company on Etsy for the mason jar lids, straws & colorful knitted cozies!
- Decor Wings from Brilliant Imports: My super fun friend & founder of Brilliant Imports, Amy Campbell, travels the world to discover beautiful décor and design accents, handcrafted by artisans in each country she visits. (Cool gig, right?) I love every thing Amy offers through her company website, but have been eyeballing this sweet pair of hand carved angel wings for a while now! Click here for more details or to purchase.
- Re-purposed Toy/ Succulent Planter: I stumbled across these darling little decorative accessories at a local art fair and almost wet my pants. So. Cute. You can check out all the colors & order online right here.
- What’s Yours Like?: We love game night here at Cosmic Acres, and I personally can’t wait to add this one to our collection! Check out the details on Amazon.com.
- (& 14) Oster Stylish & Modern Blender & Toaster: How flippin’ cute are these?? (I don’t need a new toaster or blender, darn it, but if you know someone who does, check them out at Target.com.)
- (see above)
- Sodastream: I know this looks boring, but I wanted to include it in my list because our soda stream is absolutely one of our favorite things in our house. We don’t drink juice or sodas often, but love our sparkling water, so our Sodastream provides us with all the bubbles we need, without having to use cans or bottles. The Co2 cartridges are reusable, so I feel a lot better about this option, vs. cans & bottles which don’t always get recycled. You can check out the Soda Stream starter kit here.
*If you want easy access to all these links and images, then go to my 2013 Holiday Gift Guide board on Pinterest and pin away.
One last thing…
I’ve also included this printable which you can use to help your kids craft a simple holiday wish list. A great rule of thumb someone once shared with me to keep holiday gift giving simple for the kiddos is to limit their gifts to “something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read”.
If you like this idea, feel free to download the image below (just right click, save as, then print) and use it to help you kids simplify their wish list & help encourage them do give back, while also setting their expectations for the holidays.
Grab some free digital art and help spread the attitude of gratitude! Pin it, share it, decorate your Facebook page with it, whatever! (To download, simply right click on the image and select “Save Image As”.)
Happy Thanksgiving, my Cosmic Friends!
Peace, Love & Gratitude,
A Thankful Heart is a Happy Heart – Facebook Header
Grateful – Facebook Header
Gratitude is a Habit of the Heart – Facebook Header
My heart is filled with gratitude – Facebook Header
Peace, Love & Gratitude – Facebook Header
Plant, Grow, Harvest – Facebook Header
There is always, always something to be grateful for. – Facebook Header
Peace, Love & Gratitude
A Thankful Heart is a Happy Heart
Today I choose to live with gratitude…
It’s been a busy time here in my art studio, but in keeping up with my commitment to regularly update the “What I’m Working On” section of my online universe, I’m wiping the paint from my hands and taking a moment to update the ol’ Cosmic blog-o-rama.
Since returning from the East Coast last month, I’ve been spending most of my studio time working on commissioned pieces for clients. Today, I’m including a couple of shots of the most recent work I delivered to a client’s home last week.
I first met the couple for whom I created this piece when they stopped by my booth at The Dripping with Taste Wine, Food & Art Festival in September.
They loved a similar piece I created, called The Junior League of Terlingua, (which now resides at Mercer Street Dance Hall in Dripping Springs, Texas), but needed a slightly more masculine look and a different color scheme for their master bedroom. The family recently relo’d from the Carolina’s and I was so excited to work with them — I love the fact that they wanted to bring a little Texana into their new home.
With my designer paint swatches in hand, I visited the clients’ home in person, where I was able to pull together a color scheme on the spot, determine the dimensions needed, and get clarity on how I would create a custom piece suited just for them.
I left the home with a clear vision of the triptych I would create for their master bedroom.
I have to admit, when I returned with the finished work, I was almost surprised at how completely perfect it looked in the space! (More pics of the art in the space coming soon.) It was deeply rewarding to see the final look come together so well, but most rewarding to see the genuine delight of my client.
So that’s what’s going on right now, here in The Studio at Cosmic Acres.
I’ll be busy working on a few more commissioned pieces between now, and the holidays, but do have time to fit in one or two additional clients. If you would like to talk to me about creating custom art for your home, or as a gift, please click here to start the process.
Two weeks before Lauren Taylor began her senior year at Bowie High School, she was diagnosed with a severe form of Lupus and her body began attacking itself in a way that left doctors around the United States with more questions than answers. Lauren has undergone months of tests, procedures, transfusions, and several different forms of chemotherapy treatments. The Lupus is attacking her central nervous system and brain causing neurological concerns and, to further complicate her situation, she has developed a rare blood disorder called, Macrophage Activation Syndrome (MAS) and Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH), which can be a life-threatening if not treated correctly. Lauren’s case is very rare. There are only 200 cases of MAS in the United States and only a handful of these people have Lupas and MAS/HLH. The doctors do not know of anyone with MAS/HLH and CNS Lupus. Lauren and her family are suffering in ways that many of us cannot identify with or imagine. Lauren is currently undergoing a very strong chemotherapy regimen to place the Lupus and MAS in remission. She is also being evaluated as a candidate for a bone marrow transplant, if needed in the future.
Lauren was released November 13th from the hospital to go home, but will travel back and forth to the hospital for chemo and therapy at least four days a week. It is unknown when Lauren will be able to return to Bowie High School to complete her senior year. Her parents are both taking a leave from work to manage her care with dozens of hospital doctors and specialists. As you can imagine, the medical bills are depleting the resources of the family and will continue for months to come with limited capability of returning to work.
The Lauren Taylor Benefit on Sunday, November 10th, 2013
Friends are joining together across Austin to help Lauren Taylor and her family- Glen, Angie, Charlotte, Ben and Olivia Taylor- by hosting a fundraising Benefit on Sunday, November 10, 2013. Lauren Taylor is a senior at Bowie High School and is suffering from a severe form of Lupus. The Taylor’s all give a lot to the community and provide so much joy and laughter to those around them. They are one of the liveliest and fun families you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. In this Thanksgiving season, please help us give back to them in a way that will relieve financial hardship due to the volume of medical bills they are incurring.
Click here for more information on this wonderful event.
The Studio at Cosmic Acres was pleased to be able to donate 2 pieces of artwork for the silent auction for this month’s Pr☮ject heART ♥ W☮rk.